Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Family History & Genealogy

The internet is a good place to find out a lot about your family history.  Unfortunately, it ain’t as easy as the tv ads for ancestry.ca pretend.  Often, those ads with cheerful people clicking on a little leaf and finding some fascinating bit of information about their great-granddaddy come on as I’m struggling to figure out whether this Peter is son of this Paul or that Paul.  It’s all I can do to not throw a shoe at the television.

There is a lot of information on the big genealogy sites like ancestry.ca and genealogy.com.  And there are a lot of other sites with a lot of information where you don’t have to pay a membership fee.  Some have vital statistics on them – birth and death records, census information etc.  Others are the product of family researchers who have compiled data and present it in chart form.  Below are some sites of the second type related to Newfoundland Mi’kmaq families that I have found useful.

A word of warning:  do not rely totally on any one source as the gospel.  Working from primary records can show enough inconsistencies of fact and, with websites, you have the added possibility of error of transcription.  Dates inadvertently get typed in wrong, names get misspelled.  There’s a lot of room for error.  Plus some information is simply inaccurate or conflicts with other sources.  So with primary documents and the internet, be judicious, check and double-check.

Family History Sites

(see Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Books post for more sources)

* Acadian Genealogy (by Lucie LeBlanc Consentino – many Nfld. west coast families)

*  L’Acadie Toujours (LeBlanc/White)

*  Bay of Islands Genealogy Society

*  Benoit Family (by Jasen Benwah, plus other Nf Mi’kmaq fams)

*  Descendants of Gabriel Billard (marr. Miriam Durnford)

*  Desc. of Michel Boudrot/Boudreau Lt. Gen. (1600s Acadie, marr. Michelle Aucoin)

*  Bras d’Or Families (by John Scott, incl. Jesso, Boutilier, & other fams & regions)

*  Bras d’Or Indian Village Band Association (Maliseet-Micmac Vital Stats, LeJeune gen, Nfld. Mi’kmaq)

*  Chiasson Family

Descendants of Charles Crocker (by Elizabeth Sheppard Hewitt)

*  Descendants of Daniel’s Harbour (Payne, Brooks, Park family info.)

*  Doucet Family

*  Gallant Family (PEI, by Linda Keefe-Trainor, click ‘tree’)

* (Gallant) Haché-Gallant Family

*  Gary’s Index of Family Surnames (Newfoundland West Coast & Acadien families)

*  Gaudet Genealogy (Mark B. Arsland: France, USA, Canada, NL)

*  Descendants of Edward Gaudon (Joe Gaudon, Sept. 2000)

*  Genealogy in Time (links to many sites)

*  Mi’kmaq Ancestry of Jerry Gerrior (Gerrior/Girouard family and others)

*  Descendants of William Haynes (Hynes) page moved/deleted

*  Herridge-Nurse Family History (Matthews, Garnier, Strickland, etc.)

*  Jesso Family (most Nfld. west coast families)

*  Labrador (Southern) Family History (Labrador Cura, by Patty Way)

*  LeBlanc/White (‘Steve’s Genealogy Blog’)

*  LeBlanc & MacLean Families (Trish LeBlanc – Rootsweb, link goes to surname list)

*  LeJeunes of Cape Breton & Nfld. (by Lark Szick) Link updated

*  The Ancestry of Henry LeJeune/Young (by Kirk Butt, see note below on BSGGS for this)

*  Descendants of Jacques LeJeune (Robin K. Young gen. home page)

*  Dr. William Litchman (South Coast families, Lushman etc.  Click a Publications title for content)

* Loder Family Tree (by Don Loder, many families.  Click family tree icon for name indices)

* Desc. of George Lomond (by Sharon Dillon; also Dillon, Knott, Currie)

*  Marche Family (see note below on BSGGS for access to this huge family tree)

*  Mattie Mitchell Webpage (by Fred Powell)

*  The Muise Family (by Doris Muise)

*  Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics (‘accept’ then search)

*  The O’Connell Family Tree (most Nfld. west coast families)

*  Payne Families

acadien flag*  PEI Family Lineages (Acadian names are denoted with flag)

*  PEI Genealogical Society

*  Pike Family History & Genealogy Resources (by David Pike)

*  Roy Family, through Marie Aubois (by John R. Nelson)

*  Rumbolt, Hann, Lane & Howarth Genealogy Pages (Northern Peninsula, Bay of Islands)

*  Jacques St-Pierre’s Family Tree (Doucet, Mius/Muise, LeJeune, et al.)

*  Vatcher Family History (by Ed Vatcher)

Wendy’s Ancestral Tree (Cajun/Acadian families, go to paternal Pitre line)

*  Wheeler Descendants (mainly Twillingate area)

*  Stephen A. White, Genealogist (LeBlanc and other families & Acadien history)

*  Ancestors of Wayne Harvey Young (LeJeune/Young)

For other family trees, genealogical and vital statistics information and sources, go to Bay St. George Genealogical Society.  There is a lot of material in the main site, but for $10 a year membership, you get to go in the ‘Members Only’ section.  There you find many of the invaluable papers on Newfoundland family history written by Allan Stride among other materials.

NL GenWeb and Newfoundland Grand Banks are also great resources for vital statistics data.  A wonderful source for information on Burgeo history and families is the 1925 Diary of Burgeo by Joseph Small.

Some of these sites are easier than others to navigate around.  I’ve linked to home pages example of descendant chart stylewhenever possible so that you can see what’s there.  I’ve used all these sites, so know it is possible to get around if there’s more information there.  If there’s so much information that you don’t know how to find who you’re looking for, try searching with ‘control’ and ‘f’ keys on PCs or ‘command’ and ‘f’ on Macs and type the name or place in the little search box.  At least within the ‘page’, that will find them.

These links are valid as of now, March 2011.  They may change or be removed in future.  They’re not my sites so I can only apologize in advance if any problems develop with them.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
facebookrssby feather
This entry was posted in Anthropology, Newfoundland Mi'kmaq and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

729 Responses to Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Family History & Genealogy

1. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Clay – just in case it helps anyone answer your question, I assume you mean Marie Aubois (or Dubois), b abt 1665 Acadia, who married to Jean Roi (or Roy, dit le Liberte).

2. Sam McCurdie says:

Hi Dorothy,
    I’m Alexander Samuel McCurdie. I believe Marie Blake (Marie Brake) was my great great grandmother, tying me to the Mi’kmaq. My grandmothers maiden name is Compagnon (changed to Companion). I also have a photo of who is thought to be Marie Blake that I’d like to send you if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Sam

3. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Sam, I just emailed you. If you like, send some more names and maybe I or readers can help trace your family line. Thanks, and I look forward to seeing the photograph.

4. monique wilcott says:

I am a dececdant of Abner Woolcott(Willcott) Loyalist maried to Katherine Griffin in1772 in oxford, Conneticut, the story is that Abner or Abaneigah or Abadiah, father was John Woolcott who was captived by the Indians and he was brought in Canada and later want back to lived with his familly but after a certain time they think that he want back to lived with the Indians where he maried a Indian woman. and that he would had children, the DNA Wolcott or Wilcott says that Abner, Paul, Barnabas, John, and silas has THe same DNA of John. Maybe someone has informations. nobody found Abner and his brothers where they where born and found a proof of there parents. And who was the Indian wife of John. Hope to here from you. Monique from Valleyfield, Quebec.

5. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Monique – very interesting story. I googled John Wilcott/Wolcott and found quite a bit on Ancestry gen forums. It seems likely to have been Quebec that he was in? There are Willcotts in Newfoundland, but probably there is no connection. Although not having looked into it further, I can’t say that for sure. If anyone reading can help, please do!

6. Melanie says:

Hi,
    I am desperately seeking information connected with my Grandmother Elsie Hann of Bell island.
    There is a post somewhere regarding the possibility if Micmaq or Acadian roots, Id love to know as well.
    Any and all information Greatly appreciated!!
    Melanie

7. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Melanie, I know nothing about Bell Island families but perhaps readers can help. Any further information you have might help. Is Hann her birth or married name, years of birth or death, names of other family members?

8. Sheila says:

trying to find info on Charles Baker born 1875, in Belleoram nf, he married Esther Cluett born 1881, (she was descendant from Mary Forsey 1775 & John Cluett born 1770 of Belleoram). Charles and Esther had one child, Mary Hannah Baker born 1903(my grandmother). Esther remarried in 1904 I believe so I’m assuming he died 1903ish, I can’t find any info on him or his parents, anyone have any info that would be helpful searching his family?
    thanks

9. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Sheila – I have, and could find, nothing more on Charles Baker. Samuel M. Moulton was the name of Esther Elizabeth Cluett’s second husband and they had children Hayward and Dorothy Marion (b 1919 Garnish, d 1979 Grand Bank). I have a Mary Hannah Baker married to George Hardiman with children John, Ann and Alpheaus, but have no parents for her. Would she be the same one as your grandmother? Thanks.

10. jeanette says:

I’m looking for information on the Kendall or peddle families or Newfoundland to see if there is native in my ancestors

11. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Jeannette, more on who specifically you’re looking for would narrow it down in case I or readers have any information that might help you. Thanks for writing.

12. Tea says:

Hi Im not sure who will get this message but I would like some help understanding my roots, please email me with your contact info if you coudl help me.
    Tera

13. Louise Diduch says:

I am trying to trace my family, my great grandmother was Mi’kmaq but it is very difficult to trace and from what I have been able to find she was likely from Corner Brook? Her name was Sarah Alley or Legge. There seems to be confusion as to whether she married a man with last name Legge or Alley. I am not sure what information you would need I have done quite a bit of research but keep hitting walls. I would be grateful for anything you can come up with. Thanks so much

14. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Tea, if you could tell us what family name(s) you are looking for and a geographical area, I would have a better idea if I and readers can be of help. Thanks for writing.

15. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Louise, if you have any more information on her, like years of birth/death, that would help. I found lots of Legge and Allez/Alley men married to Sarahs, and several Sarahs surnamed Legge or Allez/Alley, so without her maiden name it’s hard to find a match. Going it at from your surname, I found an Allez connection through a Samms. Does that sound right for you?

16. wendall williams says:

looking for cricketon and shepherd family they r native

17. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Wendall, I and readers would need more information on the specific branches of the families that you are looking into – names, dates and connections. Thanks.

18. Star Shears says:

Hi Dorothy

Looking for info on my paternal gr gr grandfather Simon Shears, New Brunswick.
    My grandfather was Simon Wallace Shears m. Verna Winnifred Kelly. His father was Joseph Wilford Shears b. 1877 m. Rosella Eatmon(Eatman) and then m. Lavinia McIntyre. My grandfathers parents were Joseph and Rosella. Joseph’s father was Simon Shears b. about 1826. Can’t for the life of me find info on him or his wife or parents(probably mikmaq). I found he married an abygil brown but not sure how credible that is.
    Trying to tie him to mikmaq as I think that is why we can’t find anything.
    Someone help!!!!

19. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Star, sorry but I can find nothing that helps you. Readers, if you can help, please write!

20. jamie walsh says:

hi I am looking for information regarding a woman named Elizabeth pittman I typed in pittman family history in newfoundland but all I could fin was information about Mi’kmaq family genealogy I know she was the adoptive daughter on john wakeham and bridget wakeham and had three brothers leonard cecil and William wakeham and the lived in petite forte newfoundland in 1935 any further information would be greatly appreciated I would love to know if the pittman name is realated to the mi’kmaq heritage

21. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Jamie, I have no info on her or her family so I googled them. You’ve probably seen this site that has her Wakeham family with spouses. She married Vincent Ryan. I couldn’t find anything more about her or parents John and Bridget Wakeham, so I would go at it through the Ryan side and through her Wakeham siblings and their spouses.

22. Jamie walsh says:

Hey Dorothy thanks for the info but where did you find out about her marriage to Vincent ryan? I would love to have any links to different websites that you know of I have been using just google to research but I believe I may have to call some people in newfoundland to try and dig up some more information

23. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Jamie, I haven’t found any records or anything of their marriage but I saw his name on the link in my previous comment, then on a ftm site about the Tobins (not much on him or her, but a connection to a Wakeham sister’s husband), then I found Elizabeth’s obituary. It gives no info on her parents or siblings but the family names indicate that it is her. These aren’t getting you any closer to her Pittman family, but I couldn’t find anything that did that on google or in my database. That’s why, on just a quick look, I thought maybe looking further into the Wakeham and especially the Ryan families might be helpful.

24. ken paul says:

to answer question on geogre pauls his surving son leaves in ns,my grandfather is jack pauls birth name john samuel pauls brother phil birth name phelix pauls , charles pauls drowned jn the twenty’s

25. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Ken, thanks for the info. I went looking for George Paul, and found a comment from Kay Morneau on 26 May 2012 about the family of John Paul 1780-1858, married Elizabeth. They had a son John, b 1815, marr Harriet Hoskins, with a son George 1858-1944. George marr Mary Ann (Polly) Maidment, with children John, 1888-1976, and Harriet, 1900-1958 marr Lewis Oram. I can’t find names of any other children for them. Are these connected to your George?

26. Victor Keeping says:

Catherine says:
    October 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

looking to see if there is a indian connection to frances keeping d/o benjamin kippen and frances bagg ,I have 1921 census saying that benjamin keeping b may 1879 burnt island is a micmac can you help with the connection. ty

Everyone in Burnt Island’s and surrounding areas over 1 year old was listed as micmac in the 1921 census.

27. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Victor, thanks. Without a copy of the 1921 census in front of me, I wonder – are there checkmarks in the “Micmac” column or yes/no? If checkmarks, I’ve been told that they are a tally system used for adding up something else entirely.

28. Shan Ballantyne says:

My grandfather is Clifford King, son of Mary Benoit. I cannot seem to find any information on them :(

29. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Shan, I feel like I should know about Clifford King, but I can’t find anything. Any more information, like places and dates, might help me and others reading this.