Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Family History & Genealogy

The internet is a good place to find out a lot about your family history.  Unfortunately, it ain’t as easy as the tv ads for ancestry.ca pretend.  Often, those ads with cheerful people clicking on a little leaf and finding some fascinating bit of information about their great-granddaddy come on as I’m struggling to figure out whether this Peter is son of this Paul or that Paul.  It’s all I can do to not throw a shoe at the television.

There is a lot of information on the big genealogy sites like ancestry.ca and genealogy.com.  And there are a lot of other sites with a lot of information where you don’t have to pay a membership 1775 James Cook map of Newfoundlandfee.  Some have vital statistics on them – birth and death records, census information etc.  Others are the product of family researchers who have compiled data and present it in chart form.  Below are some sites of the second type related to Newfoundland Mi’kmaq families that I have found useful.

A word of warning:  do not rely totally on any one source as the gospel.  Working from primary records can show enough inconsistencies of fact and, with websites, you have the added possibility of error of transcription.  Dates inadvertently get typed in wrong, names get misspelled.  There’s a lot of room for error.  Plus some information is simply inaccurate or conflicts with other sources.  So with primary documents and the internet, be judicious, check and double-check.

Family History Sites

(see Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Books post for more sources)

*  Acadian Genealogy (by Lucie LeBlanc Consentino – many Nfld. west coast families)

*  L’Acadie Toujours (LeBlanc/White)

*  Bay of Islands Genealogy Society

*  Benoit Family (by Jasen Benwah, plus other Nf Mi’kmaq fams)

*  Descendants of Gabriel Billard (marr. Miriam Durnford)

*  Desc. of Michel Boudrot/Boudreau Lt. Gen. (1600s Acadie, marr. Michelle Aucoin)

*  Bras d’Or Families (by John Scott, incl. Jesso, Boutilier, & other fams & regions)

*  Bras d’Or Indian Village Band Association (Maliseet-Micmac Vital Stats, LeJeune gen, Nfld. Mi’kmaq)

*  Chiasson Family

Descendants of Charles Crocker (by Elizabeth Sheppard Hewitt)

*  Descendants of Daniel’s Harbour (Payne, Brooks, Park family info.)

*  Doucet Family

*  Gallant Family (PEI, by Linda Keefe-Trainor, click ‘tree’)

*  Gary’s Index of Family Surnames (Newfoundland West Coast & Acadien families)

*  Gaudet Genealogy (Mark B. Arsland: France, USA, Canada, NL)

*  Genealogy in Time (links to many sites)

*  Mi’kmaq Ancestry of Jerry Gerrior (Gerrior/Girouard family and others)

*  Descendants of William Haynes (Hynes) (page moved/deleted)

*  Herridge-Nurse Family History (Matthews, Garnier, Strickland, etc.)

*  Jesso Family (most Nfld. west coast families)

*  Labrador (Southern) Family History (Labrador Cura, by Patty Way)

*  LeBlanc/White (‘Steve’s Genealogy Blog’)

*  LeBlanc & MacLean Families (Trish LeBlanc – Rootsweb, link goes to surname list)

*  LeJeunes of Cape Breton & Nfld. (by Lark Szick) Link updated

*  The Ancestry of Henry LeJeune/Young (by Kirk Butt, see note below on BSGGS for this)

*  Descendants of Jacques LeJeune (Robin K. Young gen. home page)

*  Dr. William Litchman (South Coast families, Lushman etc.  Click a Publications title for content)

* Loder Family Tree (by Don Loder, many families.  Click family tree icon for name indices)

* Desc. of George Lomond (by Sharon Dillon; also Dillon, Knott, Currie)

*  Marche Family (see note below on BSGGS for access to this huge family tree)

*  Mattie Mitchell Webpage (by Fred Powell)

*  The Muise Family (by Doris Muise)

*  Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics (‘accept’ then search)

*  The O’Connell Family Tree (most Nfld. west coast families)

*  Payne Families

acadien flag*  PEI Family Lineages (Acadian names are denoted with flag)

*  PEI Genealogical Society

*  Pike Family History & Genealogy Resources (by David Pike)

*  Roy Family, through Marie Aubois (by John R. Nelson)

*  Rumbolt, Hann, Lane & Howarth Genealogy Pages (Northern Peninsula, Bay of Islands)

*  Jacques St-Pierre’s Family Tree (Doucet, Mius/Muise, LeJeune, et al.)

*  Vatcher Family History (by Ed Vatcher)

Wendy’s Ancestral Tree (Cajun/Acadian families, go to paternal Pitre line)

*  Wheeler Descendants (mainly Twillingate area)

*  Stephen A. White, Genealogist (LeBlanc and other families & Acadien history)

*  Ancestors of Wayne Harvey Young (LeJeune/Young)

For other family trees, genealogical and vital statistics information and sources, go to Bay St. George Genealogical Society.  There is a lot of material in the main site, but for $10 a year membership, you get to go in the ‘Members Only’ section.  There you find many of the invaluable papers on Newfoundland family history written by Allan Stride among other materials.

NL GenWeb and Newfoundland Grand Banks are also great resources for vital statistics data.  A wonderful source for information on Burgeo history and families is the 1925 Diary of Burgeo by Joseph Small.

Some of these sites are easier than others to navigate around.  I’ve linked to home pages example of descendant chart stylewhenever possible so that you can see what’s there.  I’ve used all these sites, so know it is possible to get around if there’s more information there.  If there’s so much information that you don’t know how to find who you’re looking for, try searching with ‘control’ and ‘f’ keys on PCs or ‘command’ and ‘f’ on Macs and type the name or place in the little search box.  At least within the ‘page’, that will find them.

These links are valid as of now, March 2011.  They may change or be removed in future.  They’re not my sites so I can only apologize in advance if any problems develop with them.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
facebookrssby feather
This entry was posted in Anthropology, Newfoundland Mi'kmaq and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

699 Responses to Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Family History & Genealogy

1. John says:

Hi Dorothy,
    Thanks for the response on the Lomond Family above, there is rumoured Mi’kmaq blood through my grandmother and I thought I may have lucked out but I guess not . I am currently looking for information on the Nash family of Bonne Bay/McCallum (also one of my grandmother’s lines). I have a Caroline Nash born in 1864 who married a Robert Lee in 1886 in Bonne Bay. Her parents where Henry Nash and Elizabeth Bobbitt. I was wondering if you had any information on possible Mi’kmaq ancestry there. I have a picture of her and she has some Mi’kmaq features so I thought there may be a possibility of some link there.
    Thanks!

John

2. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi John, I have Caroline as d/o Henry Nash and Elizabeth no surname. I looked at Ancestry trees and none had a surname for Elizabeth and baptism records for their kids gave no birth name for her. I have lots of Elizabeth Bobbitts but none that I could match with this one. Do you know for sure Bobbitt was her birth name?

3. John says:

Hi Dorothy, Her death certificate which is available at https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=198-964&Event=death&ID=291118

lists her mother as Elizabeth Bobbit.

John

4. John says:

That death certificate also lists her parents as being born in England but I’m not sure how accurate that is.

John

5. John says:

Just to clarify (and sorry for all the posts), the reason I’m not sure that Caroline’s parents were born in England is that the 1921 Canadian Census lists her and both her parents as being born in Newfoundland (that census asks where the parents were born) so I’m not sure which is correct.

John

6. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi again John, thanks for the NS Vital Stats link. I’ve added it to this page. I added Bobbitt as Elizabeth Nash’s birth name but it doesn’t give me anything new on Ancestry trees. On daughter Caroline’s death certificate, I wondered if her parents were listed as born in England because Nfld was a British colony. But Caroline’s place of birth is given as Nfld, so that doesn’t explain it. If I find anything, I’ll let you know. If anyone else can help, please do!

7. Quinn Barry says:

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew where in Newfoundland I could go to find information about the Benoit Family, I know the main areas are Bay St George, Lourdes, Sandy Point and what not. Anywhere specific? My great grandmother was a Benoit, her grandfather being Henri Benoit, son of Marie Duffenais and Francois Benoit Jr. Also, if anyone knows anything about the Barry family that lived in and around the Stephenville area, I would love to hear about it. Thanks

Quinn

8. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Quinn, you should have no trouble finding info online tracing the Francis Benoit and Marie Duffenais (or Duffney) line. Look at Jasen Benwah’s site in my links above and/or join the BSG Genealogical Society (link above). As you find the connections to your own line, from grandparents and great-grandparents, you’ll figure out where specifically in Bay St. George to look. For the Barrys, I googled “Barry family Newfoundland” and saw several gen forum links. Also a McCarthy-Barry family tree but it gives people from Red Island and Merasheen – I think you’ll want the west coast connection. The name is not originally a west coast name, but some moved there from the east coast. Kirk Butt’s books on BSG families would also be of use to you. Good luck and have fun!

9. John says:

Hi Again, Dorothy

I was able to find an Elizabeth Nash who died in McCallum in 1906 at age 73 which would mean she was born in 1833. She would place her in the same time and place as my Elizabeth (Bobbit) Nash. It also says she was born in Bay East. Where any of the Elizabeth Bobbits you mentioned earlier born in Bay East around 1833?

Thanks,

John

10. Quinn Barry says:

Thanks Dorothy, I will look into more into these sites, some of my recent ancestors are hard to locate. Thanks Again.

11. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi John, none of the Elizabeth Bobbitts for whom I have birth or death dates match your dates. I entered them for her and, unfortunately, no new Ancestry leaf showed up. I wondered where “Bay East” was and found nothing. I did find Little Bay East and East Bay both on the south coast. Or might it mean Hermitage Bay East?

12. Quinn says:

Hi Again Dorothy, you wouldnt happen to know where I could get marriage/baptismal/death records of persons that resided in the Brent’s Cove/Baie Verte Area of Newfoundland? I had tried googling it and I could not find to much.

Quinn

13. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Quinn, you can try the Provincial Archives at The Rooms in St. John’s http://www.therooms.ca/archives/ – the more info you can provide, the easier it is for them to find what you’re looking for if they have it. If they don’t, you could contact the churches involved to see if they have records that haven’t been sent to the archives. As you’ve likely found, many church records have been transcribed online so maybe site administrators (NLGenWeb, Nfld Grand Banks Gen site) could help you. I don’t know if there’s a genealogical society in the Baie Verte area, but maybe the Bay of Islands or Bay St. George groups would know. Links to both are on this page. Hope this helps.

14. scott roberts says:

Hi Dorothy I’m trying find my link to mi,kmaq also my grandfather was Abe Taylor and grandmother olive Taylor Osmond her parents were from port aux Basque with last names Osmond and mukseau I believe I will try to get more more info and I will try some of your links . Also is it now too late to apply for status

15. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Scott, I don’t have anything on your Abe Taylor and Olive Osmond. There are some Osmonds and Musseaus from PAB area that maybe connect somehow. John Osmond (1867-1947) marr (1893 Mouse Is.) Frances Ellen Musseau (b 1876 Mouse Is.) She was d/o Charles Edward Musseau and Mary Ann Randell. Also, George Osmond (1840 Mouse Is – 1935 Grand Falls) marr 1870 to Ann Musseau (1854 PAB – 1954 Mouse Is), d/o Peter Musseau and Ann Sheaves.

I’m guessing your “Mukseau” is a typo for Musseau? Alternate spellings are Mieusseau, Musson and Marshall. Some Osmonds also seem to appear as Osborne or Osbourne. I found a good gen forum page at rootsweb ancestry.com for “Osborne, Pearce and Rideout” and another at ancestry.com for “Collier” by googling “Musseau Osmond”.

On applying for status, you should contact the Qalipu office in Corner Brook for current information. Good luck with your research!

16. Todd Culleton says:

Hi Dorothy – I am trying to find out information on Park, Brake, Beverley relationship. I have been informed Thomas Park married Elizabeth Matthews Brake, daughter of Ralph Brake of McIvers Cove, first inhabitant? They had a child Elizabeth Park who married a Thomas Beverley, they had children, a John Albert Beverley who married a Sarah Susannah Parson. I can confirm the marriage of John and Sarah but not the birth of Elizabeth Park and marriage to Thomas Beverley. I have reviewed many websites but cannot seem to locate any information – any ideas?

17. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Todd, I have John Albert Beverley marr to Sarah Susannah Parsons, but I don’t have parents for him. For Elizabeth Park and Thomas Beverley, I have children John, Robert (or Richard), and Thomas. Those three are also the only ones I found on ancestry trees. So I see the problem you are having in finding information. You might go at it through Sarah Parsons. I have her parents as John Parsons and Sarah, but unfortunately I can’t find anything more. You’ve probably googled the names so have found the many extensive discussions on the Park/Brake family on genealogy forums like Ancestry. It might be a place to ask too, if you haven’t already. If anyone reading this can help, please do!

18. David J Myers says:

I was wondering if you can tell me if the Kennedy’s in Bird Cove, Northern Peninsula and the Kennedy’s in Harbour Grace area related. Any information that you could provide me with would be great

19. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi David, it seems quite possible that the Bird Cove and Hr Grace Kennedys are related since so many Hr Grace families went north to fish, but I really don’t know. You’ve probably seen this Kennedy site. If you click on ‘family lineages’ on 2nd heading ‘Kennedy Births’, then scroll down to a section that starts “1820 Jan 1 Nicholas Kennedy and Ellen (Helen)”, it’s about a family that settled in Norris Point. Ellen’s name is recorded as Landen, Saunders and Lander for births of children. It seems there’s some confusion in records about the family, and elsewhere on the site there’s another reference to them, naming her as Ellen Lander or Landen from Bonavista, with her parents’ names. (I couldn’t find it again – it’s easy to get lost in the site) This may not be helpful to you at all, but there is a lot of info on the family there!

20. Dorothy Wilton says:

Hi…I am trying to find out how I would find info on adoption from Stephenville, Newfoundland…I have a friend who was adopted in 1969 in Stephenville..family name was Harvey…his name is Robert Campbell now….not sure where we would start to look…he is looking for any information in hope of finding his biological mother or any relative…if you can give us any insight as to where we might start to look that would be awesome. ..thank you

21. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Dorothy, I don’t know if I can help other than to suggest what he’s probably already done like contacting provincial government departments, family services, etc. for the Stephenville area. If he registers as wanting to find his birth parents, he would be contacted if they are also looking for him. Might be worth talking to the Bay St. George Genealogical Society people in Stephenville in case the names ring any bells with them. A link for them is on this page. I can’t think of anything else, but at least by posting here, his query is out here for all to see. Thanks for writing and I wish you and Robert the best of luck.

22. Deborah Peters says:

Hi Dorothy,

My name is Deborah Peters and I was recently told I may be part Aboriginal. I have some names and dates and was wondering if you could help shed some light on whether they are of aboriginal decent. I have looked through your website and it has helped me tremendously, but I still am having trouble connecting my heritage.

Here are the following relatives’ names and dates I believe may have an aboriginal connection:

Timothy Pike Born 1786-died 1851
    married to Patience Noel from Mosquito, Born 1794-died 1880

They had a son George Thomas Pike born 1836-died 1869
    married to Nancy Scott Tibboe born 1835-died 1888 whose parents were George Scott and Sarah Scott Tibboe.

They had a daughter Emma Pike born Sept. 9, 1860, who died in childbirth having Annie Augusta Crant on July 12, 1886, from Channel
    Emma married George Crant born 1851-died 1923
    They had a daughter Annie Augusta Crant born 1886-died 1974 (my Great Grandmother) she married John Robert Kendall born 1882? died Dec. 1944

Also, here’s some info. on other family members:

Emma Pike’s Grandparents are George and Sarah Scott from Fortune Bay and they had a daughter named Nancy Scott Tibboe born in 1835 on Brunet Island and died April 19, 1888 from Channel.

I was hoping to check the Pike, Tibboe, Crant and Kendall names for aboriginal connections. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Deborah Peters

23. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Deborah, while I had the people you list, you have more info on them than I had. Using yours and mine, I’ve got Timothy Pike (1786-1851) as born in Carbonear, s/o Capt. Timothy Pike (possibly Edward Timothy), b 1762 Carbonear d 8 Mar 1853 Carbonear, and Mary, b 1765 d 1840. Capt. Timothy was s/o John Thomas Pike, b 1724 Carbonear d 17 Dec 1783 St. Paul’s Hr. Grace, marr 1743 to Catherine Quinn, b 1724 Carbonear d 20 Dec 1805 Carbonear. John Thomas Pike was s/o John Pike, b 1690 d 14 Jul 1753 Carbonear, and Julia, b 1680 England d 14 Jul 1749 Carbonear.

Catherine Quinn is also listed as Catherine Quinn Moors, but her parents are listed as Joseph Arthur Quinn and Mary W. Thornberry. They are listed as having died in Henderson Co. Kentucky, so I’m not sure if this info is accurate for this Catherine. I’m guessing the name Moors comes from a first husband of Catherine’s but can’t find anything to verify that or explain why.

That’s all I can tell you without spending a lot more time on this. Hope it helps you, and I’m sure if anyone else can help they’ll post here.

24. Tom goulding says:

My great great grandfather was Thomas Paul (1814-1900) son of John Paul (1780-1860) my great grandmother was Sarah Paul (1846-1910) they were born on deer island and later moved to Greenspond, Bona vista Bay, I am told they were Mi’kmaq, but can’t find confirmation. Do you have anything to add please

25. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Tom, I haven’t got anything more than you have on these Pauls. There was a John Paul in central Nfld who was Mi’kmaq. He was the main source for Frank Speck’s 1922 book Beothuk and Micmac. (Link for it online is on my Nf Mi’kmaq Books page.) However, I don’t know if there’s any connection between the two families. For your Thomas Paul s/o John b 1780, I have Thomas Paul b 1760 Deer Island as John’s father. That came from a comment here, and I haven’t found it anywhere else.

26. Brenda Crewe Alverson says:

Dorothy, Daniel Sheppard, and Kim Kelly, in regards to Damenos/Damaris, bap. by Wix 1830, of Thomas and Elizabeth Stickland, born about 1821 in Burgeo, I believe it was transcribed incorrectly and the name is Damaris…I think the “n” was actually an “r”. There is no gender given in Wix’s original records…my guess is that the transcriber picked a gender as best he could. As far as the parents of Edward Matthews…Dorothy, I don’t see how he can be the son of my 2nd great grandparents, Susanna Anderson (daughter of Edward and Esther) and William Matthews, as she was born 1814 and they weren’t married until 1855 (both 2nd marriages). Edward would have to be born sometime around the same time as Susanna or a few years later…I think Edward may be part of the Matthews group that also lived in Upper Burgeo where Thomas and Elizabeth Stickland lived. That group of Matthews moved west and may not have been related to the Lower Burgeo Matthews.

27. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Brenda, you’re probably right about the name being Damaris, also about her husband Edward Matthews not being s/o Susanna Anderson and William Matthews. The dates don’t make sense. Even removing dates and parents, I couldn’t find anything more in Ancestry trees. Thanks for the information and maybe it will help sort out who’s who in the Matthews!

28. Cathy Inglis says:

Hi Dorothy,
    I was reading an earlier post from Tony Farrell (2012) about Josiah Stiickland, who I think is the father of my great grandmother Isabella “Harriett” strickland. I have him born 1849-1911 who was married to Mary Ann Wadman 1848-1876. Josiah’s father is also named Josiah 1820-1872 and married to Ann MacDonald 1830-1872. Harriett was married to George Henry Feltham. I understand she was Mi’kmaq and a midwife. I am also wondering about the native heritage. You mentioned pictures of grandchildren, where could I find these? Harriett was born in West Point and died in Channel Port Aux Basques. I can find vert little on the Feltham side. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Cathy Matthews Inglis

29. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Cathy, checking back in comments, I see the link didn’t appear for the photo of Rachel Strickland Farrell. Hope this works. All I can find that might help you is on George Henry Feltham. In Ancestry trees, I found him as born Mar 1876 Isle aux Morts died Mar 1943 Channel-PAB, s/o George Feltham, b Feb 1847 West Point LaPoile Bay, and maybe Grace Janes. I can’t find anything more on either of them.

30. Cathy Inglis says:

Hi Dorothy,
    Thank you for the information, I didn’t have Grace Janes name before, something to look into.
    Cathy

31. Todd I says:

Dorothy Im trying to get info on william neal and mary peddle. from spaniards bay.They are the parents of grace neil who married moses murrain and moved to larkharbour from spaniards bay.My grandmother was graces daughter who is matilda murrin from lark harbour.My grandmother told me on several occasions her grandmother mary peddle was from novascotia and was a micmac indian,Do you have any info on them.

32. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Todd, I don’t have anything on the people you’re looking for. But in googling them, I found genforums that give George Neal as Mary Peddle’s husband, with a daughter Grace b Jul 1871. I also saw in the 1921 census for Lark Hr (Nf GenWeb) a Moses Murrin b abt 1871 in Spaniard’s Bay, wife Grace b abt 1872. The youngest of their 6 children is Matilda b 1913. In the 1935 census, a Ronald Piercey is marr to Matilda, b abt 1914 Lark Hr, and they have a young son Moses. Maybe coincidence with the names and dates, but I wondered if your William Neal also had other names he went by.

33. Helen Darrigan says:

Back in September 2012, a Paul Sheppard wrote to one of the members that he had information regarding John Sheppard (early 1800s), of Harbour Grace, and Maria Whelan, of Western Bay. They were married on Oct. 2, 1826 according to the Harbour Grace Marriage Records. I am doing family research and am unable to go back further on both John & Maria and would like to. Are you able to put me in touch with Paul Sheppard? Thank you!

34. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Helen, I’ve sent your comment and email address to Paul. Good luck with your work!

35. Helen Darrigan says:

Thank you Dorothy … we have connected. Much obliged!

36. Monica M. says:

Hi Dorothy,

I’ve just recently began tracing my lineage. I found evidence of George Brake from Jean de Baie, Nfld., who married Jane Baker and moved to Marystown. They had a son also named George, who married Mary Joseph Fleming, who are my Great Grandparents. They had a son named William Brake (1895), who married Catherine Power and moved to New Waterford (my grandparents).

I’m having difficulty confirming that I’m on the right track, and where to start searching for George Sr.’s and Jane Baker’s parents.

Do you have any information you could kindly share with me to help me?

Much appreciated, Monica

37. Marion says:

Looking for parent/s of Mary Ann Anthony . born A pr. 18,1876 somewhere around the Cupids area. Family history says maybe she was an illegimate child. She came to Labrador and married a John Charles Davis.

38. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Monica, I don’t have your George Brake family but I googled all the names. I found George Brake and Jane Baker on a Family Tree Maker Genealogy page. Probably you too have found it but, if not, there are no parents for them but it says they were married 2 Nov 1852 RC Parish Burin. That family tree has their son George b. 1863 Marystown, marr to “Mary J”. That George and Mary J. Brake are in the 1921 census for Marystown North, Burin District, with sons Robert (b 1900) and George (b 1902) and a sister-in-law Liza Curdo (b 1861) in household. Another household is William J. Brake (b 1897 Marystown) and wife Susan (b 1898 Marystown) – not sure, due to the wife’s name, if he would be your William, son of George and Mary J.

I would seek out the marriage record for George and Jane, and maybe also look into their other son Patrick (see FTM gen site) since there seems to be information on him. Good luck!

39. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Marion, I have no information on either Mary Ann Anthony or John Charles Davis and couldn’t find anything with a quick search. However, maybe someone reading can help. Thanks for writing.

40. shirley parsons says:

hello
    I’m looking for help with my NL family tree. My mother was always told that either her grandfather or great grandfather was Portuguese. I suspect there may in fact be mi’kmaq ancestry.
    grandfather was James Burton of Beaumont. He married (2) harriets and a Louisa. had sons timotheus, reuben, pleaman. His father was William burton of ward’s hr who married clara sharpe nov 10, 1883. That’s all the info I have. About 4-6 years ago, there is was an article in a local paper that actually talked about some families being told they had Portuguese blood when there was in fact a mi’kmaq connection. unfortunately, I did not save this article and I have not been able to find it online anywhere. Any info or direction you can provide is greatly appreciated.

41. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Shirley, all I could find in my database was a William Burton, b 8 Aug 1865 (twin of Thomas) s/o Robert Burton and Charlotte Tibbo b. Hr. Breton. I have no more info on them, so don’t know if there is any connection to yours. Googling the names, I found the marr record for your William and Clara. Also a post on a Nfld Roots gen forum from 2004 saying that William Henry Burton had first marr Jane Burge, then Clara Sharpe. But when I found the church records I saw that William Henry Burton, bachelor, married Jane Burge in 1880, and in 1883 William Burton, bachelor, marr Clara Sharpe. So two different Williams. According to the Nfld Roots poster, William Henry is son of Joseph Burton and Selina Luis.

On the matter of Portuguese ancestry or Mi’kmaq ancestry disguised as Portuguese, either could be the case. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. If anyone else can shed some light, I hope they will.

42. tammara tucker says:

Hi, I was wondering if you had any
    information on the tuckers and brakes from Newfoundland? I have Qualipu Miq’ mac ancestry from the brakes but xant find anything. My great grandmother was emily brake amd my great great gramdfather is William brake from bay of islands

43. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Tammara, assuming your Emily Brake was born 24 Dec 1868 and married John Edward Tucker, I have her as the daughter of William Brake and Charlotte. William was son of William Brake and Jane, and that William was s/o Ralph Brake and Jane Matthews. Ralph Brake was from England and Jane Matthews was Mi’kmaq. Google their names and you should find loads on information on them. Hope this helps out.

44. Gabrielle Gaudet says:

Hi, I have tracked my family back all the way to Michel Boudrot and Michelle Aucoin. I was wondering if they were mi’kmaq or metis or if there is any more information on them and their family. I have all the names in the tree tracked from myself.

45. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Gabrielle, both Michel Boudrot and Michelle Aucoin were born in France. But, as I’m sure you have seen on the genealogy sites about them, they had a number of children who married into many families in Acadia, and so on with the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. So the specifics of Mi’kmaq ancestry would depend on the other families in your lineage. Thanks for writing and good luck – it’s an interesting family!

46. Hector Walters says:

Hi,
    I am researching my possible connection to the Mikmaq of the southwest coast. I am told my great grandmother Sarah Rachel Kearley (1862-1928) was of Mikmaq descent. She was born in Belleoram. Her father James Kearley (1831-1868) was born in Grand Beach with suspected roots in Belleoram. I am unable to find any information on James parents. Any information you could provide would be much appreciated.

47. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Hector – here’s what I have, and found, on Sarah Rachel’s parents: James Kearley I have as born either 1818 or 1820 in English Hr East or Grand Beach, died 26 Nov 1895 in Belleoram. He married Elizabeth Grandy 29 Sep 1852 in Belleoram. She was born 10 Apr 1831 in Garnish and died 24 Oct 1906 in Garnish.

James was s/o Thomas Kearley, b 1795 Garnish d 1847 Garnish, and Rachel Lake, b 1800 Burin d 1875 Belleoram. Thomas was s/o Edward Kearley, b abt 1775, and Jessie Wells, b Nfld dates unknown. Rachel was d/o John Lake, b 1752 d 1839, and Sarah Priscilla Snook, b 5 Nov 1761 Dorset England d 3 Oct 1833 Burin. John Lake was s/o George Lake, b 1725 Bideford England, and Ann (surname unknown).

Sarah Rachel’s mother Elizabeth Grandy was d/o Charles Grandy, b 16 Nov 1779 Garnish d 16 May 1847 in Garnish, and Anne Anstey. (He was also married to Sarah Cluett.) Charles was s/o Philip Grandy, b 1730 Garnish, and Elizabeth Poole, maybe born 1751, sister of John (b abt 1760) and William Poole (b Bay of Chaleur, near Harbour Breton).

That’s all I can find, but maybe it adds some names for you to look into.

48. Ian MacGillivray says:

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for all the hard work you do and for the very interesting sources of information you are connecting people to through your work.
    I was directed to your site in my search for information about my late grandmother, Genevieve March and her family background.

Her father was William March of Stephenville (Dec. 20, 1898) son of Guilliume Marche and Mary Sarah Aucoin.

49. Dorothy Dorothy says:

Hi Ian, thank you and glad you found your way here. I had Mary Sarah entered as Mary O’Quinn, so I’m trying to sort people out! ;)