If I don’t reply to your query, it is because I have no information. I don’t want to add to the comments with ‘I don’t know’. If you can help answer someone’s question, please post!
The internet is a good place to find out about your family history. Unfortunately, it ain’t as easy as the tv ads for ancestry.ca look. Often those ads with cheerful people clicking on a leaf and finding some fascinating bit of information about their great-granddaddy come on as I’m struggling to figure out whether this Peter is son of this Paul or that Paul. It’s all I can do to not throw a shoe at the television.
There is a lot of information on the big genealogy websites like ancestry.ca and genealogy.com. And there are lots of other sites with information where you don’t have to pay a membership fee. Some have vital statistics on them – birth and death records, census information etc. Others are the product of family researchers. Below are sites related to Newfoundland Mi’kmaq families that I have found useful.
A word of warning: do not rely totally on any one source as the gospel. Primary records have enough inconsistencies of fact and, with websites, you have the added possibility of error of transcription. Dates get typed in wrong, names get misspelled. There’s lots of room for error. Plus some information is simply inaccurate or conflicts with other sources. So with primary documents and the internet, be judicious, check and double-check.
(see Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Books for more sources)
* Acadian Genealogy (by Lucie LeBlanc Consentino – many Nfld. west coast families)
* Benoit (by Jasen Benwah, plus other Nf Mi’kmaq fams)
* Desc. of Gabriel Billard (marr. Miriam Durnford)
* Desc. of Michel Boudrot/Boudreau Lt. Gen. (1600s Acadie, marr. Michelle Aucoin)
* Bras d’Or Families (by John Scott, incl. Jesso, Boutilier, & other fams & regions)
* Bras d’Or Indian Village Band Assoc. (Maliseet-Micmac Vital Stats, LeJeune gen, Nfld. Mi’kmaq)
* Canadian Genealogy & History Links (Nfld page)
* Chiasson Family
* Desc. of Charles Crocker (by Elizabeth Sheppard Hewitt)
* Desc. of Daniel’s Harbour (Payne, Brooks, Park families)
* Doucet Family
* Gallant Family (PEI, by Linda Keefe-Trainor, click ‘tree’)
* (Gallant) Haché-Gallant Family
* Gaudet Genealogy (Mark B. Arsland: France, USA, Canada, NL)
* Desc. of Edward Gaudon (Joe Gaudon, Sept. 2000)
* Genealogy in Time (links to many sites)
* Mi’kmaq Ancestry of Jerry Gerrior (Gerrior/Girouard and others)
* Desc. of James Hall (NS & NL – click no. link at left for gens)
* Herridge-Nurse Family History (Matthews, Garnier, Strickland, etc.)
* Jesso Family (most Nfld. west coast families)
* Labrador (Southern) Family History (Labrador Cura, by Patty Way)
* LeBlanc/White (‘Steve’s Genealogy Blog’)
* LeBlanc & MacLean Families (Trish LeBlanc – Rootsweb, link goes to surname list)
* Lefresne-Robinson Family, South Coast of Nfld (Rootsweb, link to surnames)
* LeJeunes of Cape Breton & Nfld (by Lark Szick)
* The Ancestry of Henry LeJeune/Young (by Kirk Butt, see note below on BSGGS for this)
* Desc. of Jacques LeJeune (Robin K. Young gen. home page)
* John Young (LeJeune) of Bras d’Or NS (by Kevin Young)
* Dr. William Litchman (South Coast families, Lushman etc. Click a Publications title for content. Also see his “every-name index” for Burgeo-LaPoile 1921 census, below.)
* Desc. of George Lomond (by Sharon Dillon; also Dillon, Knott, Currie)
* Maliseet & Micmac Vital Statistics (NB Church Records – 346 pg PDF so it takes a long time to load)
* Marche Family (see note below on BSGGS for access to this huge family tree)
* Mattie Mitchell Webpage (by Fred Powell)
* Muise Family (by Doris Muise)
* Desc. of Philippe Mius d’Azy (by Yvon Cyr)
* (Muise) Four Generations of d’Entremonts (Musée des Acadiens)
* Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics (‘accept’ then search)
* O’Connell Family Tree (most Nfld. west coast families)
* PEI Family Lineages (flag by Acadian names)
* Pike Family History & Genealogy Resources (by David Pike)
* Roy Family, through Marie Aubois (by John R. Nelson)
* Rumbolt, Hann, Lane & Howarth Genealogy Pages (Northern Peninsula, Bay of Islands)
* Jacques St-Pierre’s Family Tree (Doucet, Muise, LeJeune, et al.)
* Vatcher Family History (by Ed Vatcher)
* Wendy’s Ancestral Tree (Cajun/Acadian families, go to paternal Pitre line)
* Wheeler Descendants (mainly Twillingate area)
* Stephen A. White, Genealogist (LeBlanc and others & Acadien history)
* Ancestors of Wayne Harvey Young (LeJeune & Stone)
For other family trees, genealogical and vital statistics information and sources, go to Bay St. George Genealogical Society. There is a lot of material in the main site, but for $10 a year membership, you get to go in the ‘Members Only’ section. There you find many of the invaluable papers on Newfoundland family history written by Allan Stride among other materials. NL GenWeb and Newfoundland Grand Banks are also great resources for vital statistics data.
A wonderful source for information on Burgeo history and families is the 1925 Diary of Burgeo by Joseph Small. Also valuable for those interested in south coast families is Dr. Litchman’s index of the 1921 census for Burgeo-LaPoile, available in Kindle format at Amazon.
Some of these sites are easier than others to navigate around. I’ve linked to home pages whenever possible so that you can see what’s there. I’ve used all these sites, so know it is possible to get around if there’s more information there. If there’s so much information that you don’t know how to find who you’re looking for, try searching with ‘control’ and ‘f’ keys on PCs or ‘command’ and ‘f’ on Macs and type the name or place in the little search box. At least within the ‘page’, that will find them.
These links are valid as of now, March 2011. (*Checked & updated March 2016.) They may change or be removed in future. They’re not my sites so I apologize in advance if problems develop with them.