Frederick Anger, Welland or Wisconsin

The History of the County of Welland, Ontario: Its past and present 1887

county of welland title pageJames E. Anger, publisher and proprietor of the Niagara Falls Review, and Rev. William H. Anger, principal and originator the St. Catherines Business College, are members of one of the oldest families in the county of Welland.

Two brothers named Anger, (or Ahinger) came from Germany at an early date and settled at a place called Clobrock, N.Y. Both fought for the British Crown during the revolutionary war, and when General Washington finally triumphed, they, with the Nears, (German, Neher) Hoffmans and other Loyalists, came to Canada, bringing with them what they could with ox teams.

Augustus Anger settled near Dunnville; John Charles Anger in Bertie, and had three sons, Augustus, John Charles and Frederick. The last named died a bachelor. Augustus married and has many descendants now living in the county. John Charles married Abigail Near in Bertie in 1787 – just one hundred years ago.

In 1812, both John Charles and his eldest son took up arms in support of the British Government, and participated in the battle of Chippawa. The son, named Frederick, who had located in Wisconsin, came to Canada to battle for the land and flag of his fathers, returning after the war to Wisconsin.

The old homestead was the farm now owned by John Miller, Bertie, on the Ridge road. Of the sons of J. C. Anger, all went west except William C. and Henry C. The former resided near Ridgeway, the latter, who was born in 1801, remained on the old homestead, willed him by his father, until his death in 1877. Of H. C. Anger’s descendants, two sons and two daughters yet survive, James E. and William H., whose names head this sketch, and Mrs. E. Augustine, of Humberstone, and Mrs. W. J. Brown, of Port Robinson.

James E. Anger started the Niagara Falls Review in 1879, and has succeeded in establishing a permanent and paying business. His wife is Martha, daughter of Thomas Spedding of Bertie.

William H. Anger, after being associated with his brother in the publishing business at Niagara Falls for some years, started the Niagara Falls Business College, removing it to St. Catherines in 1885, and changing the name to suit the new location. The institution is rapidly winning a wide reputation for success and efficiency in fitting the young for the practical business of life. It is fitted with telegraphic, banking and other facilities. Mr. Anger is well qualified for the work he has undertaken, being a B. A. of Albert College. His wife is Hattie A., daughter of James S. Dell, Esq., of Willoughby.

excerpt Biographical Sketches, Niagara Falls Town, 506-507
history of welland county pp 506-507
Click image for larger view, or here to read or download text

So, according to this writer in 1887, John Charles Anger’s son Frederick never married and had no children. He moved to the USA, returned to fight on Canada’s side in the War of 1812, then went back to Wisconsin.

But other sources say John Charles Anger’s son Frederick (1791-1857) married Elizabeth Thompson (1820-1850). They had maybe six children: Phoebe, Robert, Margaret, Silby, Catherine and Elizabeth. Parents and children were born in Ontario. All children but one died in Ontario. No mention of Wisconsin.

This source is 130 years closer to the people and events than we are. So I believe the author. However, grave information and land records suggest that Frederick Anger, son of John Charles Anger and Abigail Near, lived his life in Ontario with wife and children.

Two different Fredericks? Confusion of generations of John Charles Angers? If anyone can explain this, please do! Thanks, Jim Flock, for pointing out this inconsistency.

(The Biographical Sketches of History of Welland County is in ‘Biographies 1887’ below.)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Other Posts

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmailby feather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *