If I don’t reply to your query, it is because I have no information. I don’t want to add to the comments with ‘I don’t know’. If you can help answer someone’s question, please post!
The internet is a good place to find out about your family history. Unfortunately, it ain’t as easy as the tv ads for Ancestry look. Often those ads with cheerful people clicking on a leaf and finding some fascinating bit of information about their great-granddaddy come on as I’m struggling to figure out whether this Peter is son of this Paul or that Paul. It’s all I can do to not throw a shoe at the television.
There is a lot of information on the big genealogy websites like ancestry.ca and genealogy.com. And there are lots of other sites with information where you don’t have to pay a membership fee. Some have vital statistics on them – birth and death records, census information etc. Others are the product of family researchers. Below are sites related to Newfoundland Mi’kmaq families that I have found useful.
For non-internet materials:
The Newfoundland Emporium on Broadway in Corner Brook is a great resource. You can find all kinds of treasures, including hard to find Newfoundland books. See my Newfoundland Mi’kmaq Books for more sources.
A word of warning:
Do not rely totally on any one source as the gospel. Primary records have enough inconsistencies of fact and, with websites, you have the added possibility of error of transcription. Dates get typed in wrong, names get misspelled. There’s lots of room for error. Plus some information is simply inaccurate or conflicts with other sources. So with primary documents and the internet, be judicious, check and double-check.
* Acadian Genealogy (by Lucie LeBlanc Consentino – many Nfld. west coast families)
* Acadian-Cajun Genealogy & History (click a surname)
* Andersons (Fortune and Burgeo, BOI)
* Ashley Phillips’ Family Tree of Nfld (trees for Boucher, Lucas etc. – links at bottom of page)
* Benoit (by Jasen Benwah, plus other Nf Mi’kmaq fams)
* Desc. of Gabriel BILLARD (marr. Miriam Durnford)
* Desc. of Michel BOUDROT/BOUDREAU Lt. Gen. (1600s Acadie, marr. Michelle Aucoin)
* Bras d’Or Families (by John Scott, incl. Jesso, Boutilier, & other fams & regions)
* Bras d’Or Indian Village Band Assoc. (Maliseet-Micmac Vital Stats, LeJeune gen, Nfld. Mi’kmaq)
* Chegau – Mi’kmaq Treaty Descendants (Chego, etc. family tree by Donna Marie Launey)
* Chegau Mi’kmaq Family DNA (Donna Marie Launey)
* Chiasson Family
* Desc. of Charles CROCKER (by Elizabeth Sheppard Hewitt)
* Desc. of Daniel’s Harbour (Payne, Brooks, Park families)
* Dauphinee, Jean Joseph (by Claude Tardif)
* Doucet Family
* (Doucette) Up the Humber to the West: My Métis voyaguers (2016 blog post by Joanne Doucette. Not a family tree, but a family – and Canadian – history)
* Fayz World (lower right, ‘My Family Tree’ – lots of info!)
* Gallant Family (PEI, by Linda Keefe-Trainor, click ‘tree’)
* Gaudet Genealogy (Mark B. Arsland: France, USA, Canada, NL) Also see his Notes – NL pdf.
* Desc. of Edward GAUDON (Joe Gaudon, Sept. 2000)
* Mi’kmaq Ancestry of Jerry GERRIOR (Gerrior/Girouard and others)
* Gregor’s Gathering (Acadian, Scottish and Nfld, Greg Melanson)
* Desc. of James HALL (NS & NL – click no. link at left for gens)
* Desc. of George & Jane HARVEY (Town of Isle aux Morts)
* Hatcher Families Genealogy Association
* Herridge-Nurse Family History (Matthews, Garnier, Strickland, etc.)
* Kinslow-Billard of Lower Burgeo (Family History Workshop by Sandy Evans. Other families in top menu, but some navigation problems)
* Jesso Family (most Nfld. west coast families)
* Labrador (Southern) Family History (Labrador Cura, by Patty Way) “Site temporarily unavailable” Feb 3/19
* LeBlanc/White (‘Steve’s Genealogy Blog’)
* LeBlanc & MacLean Families (Trish LeBlanc – Rootsweb, link goes to surname list)
* Lefresne-Robinson Family, South Coast of Nfld (Rootsweb, link to surnames)
* Legg Family of Dorset (includes Nfld., Janet’s Family History)
* LeJeunes of Cape Breton & Nfld (by Lark Szick)
* The Ancestry of Henry LeJeune/Young (by Kirk Butt, see note below on BSGGS for this)
* Desc. of Jacques LeJEUNE (Robin K. Young index)
* John Young (LeJeune) of Bras d’Or NS (by Kevin Young)
* Dr. William Litchman (South Coast families, Lushman etc. Click a Publications title for content. Also see his “every-name index” for Burgeo-LaPoile 1921 census, below.)
* Desc. of George LOMOND (by Sharon Dillon; also Dillon, Knott, Currie)
* Lucas, etc. (Bertha Jeans’ genealogy.com FTM user tree)
* Desc. of John MacISAAC (Codroy, by Glenn Harding, also Wm. Harding family, Saint John)
* Maliseet & Micmac Vital Statistics (NB Church Records – 346 pg PDF so it takes a long time to load)
* Marche Family (see note below on BSGGS for access to this huge family tree)
* Mattie Mitchell Webpage (by Fred Powell)
* Muise Family (by Doris Muise)
* Desc. of Philippe MIUS d’Azy (by Yvon Cyr)
* My Newfoundland Ancestors (by Patricia Monogue Balkcom, many west and south coast families, indexed by name and place)
* Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics (‘accept’ then search)
* O’Connell Family Tree (most Nfld. west coast families)
* Patten Family (by Anne Patten Oliver, south coast families)
* PEI Family Lineages (flag by Acadian names)
* Donald J. Perrier of Alberta, Canada
* PEI Genealogical Society
* Pike Family History & Genealogy Resources (by David Pike)
* Rowe of Newfoundland (by M. John Rowe, see Ch. 11 for Reault/Rowe of Bay St. George and Port au Port
* Roy Family, through Marie Aubois (by John R. Nelson)
* Rumbolt, Hann, Lane & Howarth Genealogy Pages (Northern Peninsula, Bay of Islands)
* Jacques St-Pierre’s Family Tree (Doucet, Muise, LeJeune, et al. Hover over “Last Name” at top right for drop down menu of names)
* Saunders/Hynes of Fortune Bay, Griffin Family (‘My Nfld Family Tree’ by Devon Griffin – navigation at lower right)
* Southwest Coast of Newfoundland, Women’s History (by Cape Ray Lightkeepers House, Virtual Museum of Canada. Mini-bios. I found site hard to navigate, but just click around it – interesting)
* Western Newfoundland, and Labrador, Deceased Veterans (Cdn Assoc. of Veterans in UN Peacekeeping, Western NL chapter – family, work and military info.
* Wheeler Descendants (mainly Twillingate area)
* Stephen A. White, Genealogist (LeBlanc and others & Acadien history)
* White and Simms Families of Newfoundland
* Ancestors of Wayne Harvey YOUNG (LeJeune & Stone)
For other family trees, genealogical and vital statistics information and sources, go to Bay St. George Genealogical Society. There is a lot of material in the main site, but for $10 a year, you get to go in the ‘Members Only’ section. There you find many of the invaluable papers on Newfoundland family history written by Allan Stride among other materials.
NL GenWeb and Newfoundland Grand Banks are also great resources for vital statistics data. Also Find A Grave is great for dates, family connections and sometimes includes obits, photos and other information.
Also see Family History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador. Register for full access to their materials. The society has a quarterly journal The Newfoundland Ancestor.
A wonderful source for information on Burgeo history and families is the 1925 Diary of Burgeo by Joseph Small. Also valuable for those interested in south coast families is Dr. Litchman’s index of the 1921 census for Burgeo-LaPoile, available in Kindle format at Amazon (link below).
Some of these sites are easier than others to navigate around. I’ve linked to home pages whenever possible so that you can see what’s there. I’ve used all these sites, so know it is possible to get around if there’s more information there. If there’s so much information that you don’t know how to find who you’re looking for, try searching with ‘control’ and ‘f’ keys on PCs or ‘command’ and ‘f’ on Macs and type the name or place in the little search box. At least within the ‘page’, that will find them.
These links are valid as of this publishing date. (Checked & updated May 2019.) They may change or be removed in future. They’re not my sites so I apologize in advance if problems develop with them.